Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Tuesday

 
For me, the best part of any turf conference is getting home. After spending a week away from Highlands networking, telling stories, comparing notes and meeting new superintendents, I develop fresh perspective and an immense appreciation for all we have at HCC! It is always good to be reminded of this. HCC is a rare situation in the golf business. We have a wonderful staff at every corner and most importantly, a caring and involved membership!

Today, we are spraying greens with another preventative snow mold fungicide application.  The choice of fungicides today is Tartan, a Bayer product, sprayed at a rate of 1 oz per 1000ft2.  This will hold us over until spring when the disease is no longer a threat.  We are spraying both Greens and approaches.  This is one of a few times a year when I allow the sprayer out on the greens instead of walk spraying the greens.
 
 
Our handiwork with the lathe is evident below.  You can always buy stuff like this in an endless amount of catalogues sent to us but it is way more unique and special to make our own.
 
 
This year, I am pouring concrete pads to place our trash boxes on.  It will be better on the boxes and hopefully help with the rotting of wood.  I also think it will help these areas by giving them a cleaner appearence.  The concrete is also being stained in order to give it a dark, earth tone color.
 
 
After the warner temps (high 40's) and rain, a majority of the snow is gone.  I did notice this spot on Saturday which contains deer tracks.  Deer are something you don't see regularly in our area.  Coming from Pennsylvania, I always thought this area would have a very high deer population.  However, it isn't the case.  In 14 years, I think I have seen only 3!  I am told it is a food source issue.  When you get to areas surrounding the Highlands Plateau, deer are plentiful.