Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday

 
 
Greens are being sand topdressed 2 directions this afternoon.  Tomorrow, we will not mow in the morning, rather spray with fertilizer and when dry, drag them with a brush followed by an application of potassium 0-0-28 fertilizer.  They are still slightly bumpy and I feel this heavy topdressing with smooth them out.
 
 
Today I met with John Companiotte, who is working on the HCC history book coming out in a few years.  While I met with John's wife last fall, John was here to search our computers up and down for photos taken through the years.  He was very pleased with what he found.  While we were talking, I learned John wrote a book about Byron Nelson and had the opportunity to sit down with him.  Nelson was head pro (1940's) at Reading CC in Reading, PA...the golf course I got my start as a teenager.  It was neat to hear John tell me about Byron Nelson talking about Reading CC in the book.  One such story was Nelson's obsession with bunker practice.  In fact, he practiced so much out of one particular bunker at RCC that grounds staff had to fill it with sand, weekly!  There is no doubt this new Highlands CC book will be fantastic!